Online high schools are becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to traditional high schools. While they are not without their own unique set of problems, online high schools, particularly those which allow for earning a high school diploma online, will only grow in number and popularity.
While there are a number of different reasons for why a student might elect to attend an online high school, below are five popular reasons:
1. If you are an adult student, it can be infinitely less embarrassing to go online. Most adult students have little desire to be in class with 16-year-olds (or even in an adult school class with 19-year-olds). Online no one knows how old you are and you can be faceless in a very real sense.
2. It gets you out of the public schools (in most cases; remember there are some free online high schools that are public charter schools). While we have many excellent schools in the United States, we also have some schools which are struggling.
3. If you have an illness that prevents you from going to high school, this can be a good alternative. While not always the best choice for students who are ill, it can be a reasonable alternative to what the public schools might be able to offer in that same situation.
4. You have been asked – ahem – to leave your high school for whatever reason. You definitely still want to earn a high school diploma and this may be one of your very few options depending on your location.
5. You just know that, if you stay in your local public high school, you will never finish. That environment is not for everyone. Some will be successful, but for others it will be a real challenge.
However and importantly, online high schools require students to be motivated. Remember that in traditional schools you have teachers pushing you forward. While many online high schools have teachers, the dynamic is different. It will be much more on you to be successful.